Monday, November 8, 2010

A Case of the "Moooooooonnnddaaayyyys"

     I'm still amazed at how differently certain things are here than compared to home. In Politics class today, the class persuaded the teacher to delay our paper another week. Great, of course, but this isn't the first time it's happened. As a matter of fact this is the third paper (not just in Polls) that has been postponed or delayed because students aren't prepared and are whining for more time.
     I got asked today by one of the girls if UND is easier than this. I replied as nicely as I could, "Are you kidding!". That would never happen. Your class would laugh at you (as would the teacher) if you raised your hand in the middle of a lecture bowl saying this week is too busy, can we get an extension. OR this is a good one, my film teacher, a UND grad student brought up another point when we were having a conversation regarding the same topic earlier today. She said that one of the students came up to her a couple weeks ago and asked if she could make the 15 point weekly quiz we have "easier next week", stating that "we are just so busy until then." Of course she replied "absolutely not"! We have already been granted with a word bank, which we didn't have at the beginning of the semester, but because the students whined so much about the difficulty of the test, the prof decided to add a word bank to help us out.
     Through talking to some classmates, it's just a part of their culture. They whine and moan about how "hard" an assignment is, or how "busy" they are and the teacher will usually give them some lee-way. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad we don't have that back home. The classes I've been in high school-- we'd have never had an assignment due!
     I also need to comment on the use of laptops in class. There are classes that I am in (I don't want to name which) that I am not lying, a good 90% of the kids are on Facebook disregarding what the teacher is lecturing about. I do not, and again, I can't believe I'm saying this, but it really irritates me... I mean how am I supposed to concentrate on the teacher when I'm so caught up in the game of "Tetris" being played by the girl sitting in front of me =)
     Another thing: they make you pay for your bags at the grocery store, I don't think I mentioned that before. It's only a matter of time until that starts happening in the states I'm sure.
     Well the Vikes finally won, glad to see that, although they did it in a ridiculous fashion, on the lighter side good thing I'm not a Dallas Cowboys fan.
     To get back on the homework subject, we DO actually have quite a bit to do for Comm. 402 in the upcoming weeks here. Norwegian is getting better, I had dug myself in a hole and I'm climbing out of it. We got to re-do a section of the test, which I did much better on.
Other than that, I'm learning lots in Politics and having a blast in Intro to film.
     Being over here sure puts a good perspective on life. I'm ready to go back and seize the day; take the country by storm. I have my sights set on a pretty cool internship for next summer (not the upcoming one) out in New York, so it's my goal to save up some dough and build a good media-related resume by the time December 1st 2011 rolls around, when the application for it is due.
I sign up for classes on Friday and I'm actually excited. I forgot that selecting classes is good fun...especially now that the majority of my essential studies are out of the way and I can take classes that pertain to my major and will help me in the future. With the whole "perspective" thing, it's making me look at the bigger picture of my education. I'm realizing I'm not in that big of a hurry to complete my degree and enter the career world. I'm realizing the fact that I want more than a bachelor of Arts degree in "Communication". I am interested in WAY more than that. SO we'll see, maybe another major, a minor or two, or grad school is in the future for me. I mean it cant hurt =)
    When it comes to the "perspective" I've been talking about, this most defiantly goes for anyone who is taking the time out of their day to read this. I appreciate you stopping by, and you truly mean a lot to me. Feel free to leave a little comment so I know you were here.
THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment